Pumulani Luxury Beach Lodge
Situated on the west side of the Nankumba Peninsula on the Southern end of Lake Malawi you can find Pumulani subtly nestled in the lush hills amongst the trees and craggy outcrops. The ten villas with their grass roofs to help reflect the heat provide the ultimate in space, design, comfort and privacy.
David Livingstone famously named Lake Malawi “The Lake Of Stars” and for good reason, during the day the light dances across the deep blue water and once the sun has set the stars twinkle brightly both in the sky but also on the lake as the fishermen light up their hurricane lamps for their night on the lake.
Guests can relax on the white sandy beach or enjoy an elevated view of the lake from the stylish infinity pool. For those seeking some activity we offer waterskiing, sailing, kayaking, walks in the hills, sunset cruises on our handbuilt dhow and snorkling and diving. Under water activities never fail to amaze as the diversity of fishlife is very surprising and experts say that this lake is home to more native fish species than any other in the world.
Pumulani offers the perfect mix for a memorable holiday. Enjoy being active or simply relax in the beautiful and tranquil scenery.
Luxury accommodation, friendly personal service and stunning views over Lake Malawi combine to make Pumulani the perfect African beach lodge.
Dutch architect G. Hooft Graafland designed each of the ten villas individually adapting them to their own unique location to ensure they blend harmoniously into their different surroundings. The gently curving lines of the very spacious villas reflect the patterns and movements of the lake along with the interior design, which is directly inspired from the surrounding nature.
Each villa has a large bedroom, which opens out onto a private deck where early risers can enjoy the morning’s first rays. The bathrooms also offer splendid views and are well equipped with a bathtub, double shower and double sink, and the spacious lounge area offers further comfort for those wishing to relax in the room.
The central area consists of a spacious open restaurant with an undercover area, bar and a cosy fire area. The infinity swimming pool is on a lower terraced deck. Three raised walkways with steps lead off from the central area to the villas and down to the beach.
The name Pumulani means “rest well” in the local Chichewa language, and that’s exactly what we offer – the chance to unwind in a beautiful and tranquil setting.
On the water
· Our 40ft traditional, hand crafted dhow is a slow and relaxing way to enjoy the tranquillity of Lake Malawi. Whether it be on a early morning breakfast cruise or a magical sunset cruise.
· Our 2 speedboats can whisk you around the lake with various water activities such as water-skiing, wakeboarding and tubing. Or an exhilarating drive to secluded spots where you can jump out the boat and snorkel or dive taking in the clouds of tropical fish that inhabit the water.
· For the more experienced sailors we have two dhingys which are great fun to nip around the lake in.
· Take a guided walk from the lodge up into the hills enjoying the views and beauty as well as the wonderful birdlife. Coming down from the hills to the lake shore a kayak will meet you there for a gentle paddle back.
· Cycle down the hill from the lodge through the village and around the point where the kayaks will meet you for your paddle back.
· Enjoy the peace and quiet and relax under the shade of a parasol or tree on the beach with a good book.
· Take a guided walk through the village seeing and having the local traditions and rituals explained.
· Revel in the joys of the night sky with our incredible star gazer, it will revolutionise the way you look at the stars.
Contact Our Specialists
PRICES FROM: 365 USD
per person per night sharing
CONTACT US FOR A FREE HOLIDAY QUOTATION
*Prices may vary according to season